Saturday, December 3, 2022

My Rude Awakening

Last Tuesday I was waking from a semi-conscious state after a heart cath. I expected to wake to my Cardiologist's words, "Everything looks fine," or, "You had some minor clogging; but the stents I put in should do the trick; go home and eat more pie." But he was off script. "You have three major blockages, each at 70-80%. Imagine ten lanes of busy traffic trying to squeeze into two or three."

"I don't have to imagine it. I just drove through Atlanta."

"One of those blockages is in the Left Anterior Descending Artery, commonly known as the Widow Maker."

I didn't like the sound of that. The rural church I serve part-time already has several widows who need pastoral care. The last thing I wanted was to add another widow to the list and increase my workload, especially when I had just been informed that I have a heart condition. 

Then I heard the doctor use the words "bypass surgery." That's a relief, I thought, he's recommending that we bypass surgery; sounds good to me. I bet he's going to explain that the wizards of modern medicine have found a better way to fix my heart than by carving me like a turkey. Maybe now they can do it with lasers, or a Zoom call. I imagined him saying:

"Thankfully, you made it into the 21st Century, when the barbaric method of extracting veins from your legs, sawing through your chest and splicing those veins into your arteries is a thing of the past." 

But evidently the wizards have been preoccupied with other matters, like fighting worldwide pandemics, or helping that Potter fellow defeat Voldemort, because what he actually said was,

"You need to schedule bypass surgery."

"Rats! No stents then?"

"Your blockages are too severe."

"You idiot," I said to myself, "you should have skipped the dessert bar at Golden Corral."  

"But desserts are included in the price," I responded. "Only a fool would pay for dessert and not eat it. Would you rather be an idiot or a fool?"

"Are those my only two options?"

The doctor cleared his throat. "If you're through arguing with yourself, do you have any questions for me, I have another patient to see."

"Sorry, I was under the impression that I was just thinking that."

This just in from Tommy Humphrey, "I'd stick with idiot, Rusty."

"Is that any way to speak to a man in my condition, Pretty Boy?"

Today, four days after my rude awakening (which was both literal and figurative) I am awaiting my appointment with Surgeon Bypass, scheduled for a few days from now. I suppose he'll check his calendar and try to squeeze me in over the next few weeks, preferably before an eighteen-wheeler loaded with Twinkies jackknifes and blocks the last open lanes on Widow Maker Parkway. 

In the meantime, I feel like a character in a spy thriller who's had a device inserted in his chest that could explode at any time. The difference is, the spy is continuing to jump out of planes and climb skyscrapers to prevent a nuclear holocaust, while I'm at home wondering, "Should I sleep on my side to avoid too much pressure on my heart?"

The heart news wasn't what I wanted to hear, but I have many reasons to be thankful:

I'm thankful for my new Primary Care Physician, who doesn't seem as cavalier about my lifespan as the last one (now retired). Because of my high cholesterol and family history of heart disease, she insisted that I see a Cardiologist.

I'm thankful that I didn't have a heart attack while biking, which I try to do for five or six hours each week (bike, not have a heart attack), or while taking the recent nuclear stress test, when, to get my heart rate high enough, the lab tech cranked up the incline of the treadmill to the "running up a mountain" setting. Vince Gill may be interested to hear that I came very close to resting high up on that mountain.

And I'm thankful for my wonderful wife, who seems determined to do everything possible to make my remaining days pleasant ones.

The Apostle Peter had a rude awakening of his own. After Christ's resurrection, he and the other apostles had been declaring throughout Palestine that Jesus was the promised Messiah, that they knew him to be alive because they had interacted with him after he had risen from the dead, and that salvation was freely offered to all who would repent of their sins and embrace him as Lord and Savior. This message angered the religious hierarchy, who were instrumental in having Jesus crucified.

Herod Agrippa, a descendant of Herod the baby-killer (Matthew 2) had executed Peter's friend and fellow-apostle James, the brother of John, author of the Gospel of John. When Herod saw that killing James pleased the religious leaders, he decided to further please them by killing Peter. The night before he was to be executed, Peter was guarded by four squads of soldiers, and bound with chains between two of them. 

But as believers were fervently praying for his deliverance, the Lord sent an angel to free him. The angel found Peter sleeping, evidently soundly, because he had to strike him on the side to wake him. The whole fascinating account can be found in Acts chapter 12.

If Peter could sleep soundly on the night before his scheduled execution, evidently trusting in the Lord's providential control, and knowing that, as the Apostle Paul put it, The Lord 

"...has made from one blood every nation of men to dwell on all the face of the earth, and has determined their pre-appointed times and the boundaries of their habitations. (Acts 17:26)

Then you and I, if we're believers in Christ, should be able to trust God's providence and sleep soundly, whether we're anticipating bypass surgery or the wreck of a semi full of Twinkies on Widow Maker Parkway.

UPDATE: Rusty and the Mrs. met with Dr. Bypass on December 7, a day that was already living in infamy.  He agreed with my Cardiologist that each of the three arteries supplying my heart has a major traffic jam.  He estimated one to be 90% blocked and the other two 70-80%. He seemed surprised that I was still alive, but he checked my pulse and confirmed it.  He was going to have to schedule my surgery for late in the month, but he had just been informed of a cancellation on December 12, so I scooped up the date. If that device in my chest doesn't explode before next Monday, the surgeon thinks my prognosis is good. I'm grateful for the prayers and expressions of love and concern from family and friends.

42 comments:

  1. So true, but as hard as we try we still worry, but that's okay because when we are weak He is strong!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Russ, God has much more in store for you to accomplish, I'm sure. You have shared the Gospel of Truth and many now call Him Lord and Savior because of you. Keep trusting in Him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rusty,Joann and I vascilated between tears of sadness and laughter as we remembered you wonderful sense of humor. We are so grateful that you included us in the proverbial "loop" (please continue to do so)and we will be in prayer for you and the lovely Darla,(see Acts12).
    I highly recommend that you call the elders for anointing as James 5 instructs.
    I have seen amazing healings resulting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anonymous Earl and Joann. Your friendship and support are deeply appreciated by me, and by Rusty, Darla, Donna, Rhoda and Pastor What'shisname.

      Delete
  4. You are definitely in our prayers for the surgery and recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear uncle Rusty, considering your sense of humor I struggled while reading your story trying to determine if it was autobiographic. After a short “stint” of recon my concern was confirmed. I know you know you are in the palm of His hand! My prayers are with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, DP. It would be so comforting to me in these last days if I had some belly button lint. But alas, no one seems to collect it any more.

      Delete
  6. This is delightfully humorous despite the reason for the story. I don't know if you knew George Fincke, a very dear friend from hi school days whom Jesus took home a few years ago. He started a BP Church in the Palm Harbor area also. Is there something about this area that should worry me? I have a stress test tomorrow. I requested it, though I don't have a real good reason other than general muscle-like pain that could be from carrying things with my not exercising regularly.

    You are extremely dear to me as a longtime friend, fellow-minister, and role model. Please do your part to continue in those roles for a few more decades.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to show up as a (alpha primitive) name. I've never used this before. I'm sure you couldn't guess which of the scads of BP ministers in Palm Harbor this could be.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the kind words, Phil. I was never cast in the role of a model before, for obvious reasons (although I have been told by the nurses that draw my blood that I have very nice veins). I only knew George from a distance. When the church he was planting in Palm Harbor disbanded, several of their families gravitated to Suncoast, including the Carvers, the Teckmans, the Moodys, and the McIvers (all long gone from Suncoast now). This would have been about 1984. They were a great encouragement to our small flock, meeting at the time in the rustic building belonging to the Dunedin Lion's Club. I'm sorry to hear about your stress test. My advice is, if you get high upon that mountain, don't rest there. And by the way, when you get the chance to sit it out or dance, I hope you sit it out.

      Delete
  7. Whatever side you sleep on take your rest on the everlasting arms. Dt 33:27. Brother Dougy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dougy. It's by God's grace and your faithful witness 51 years ago that I can rest in those arms.

      Delete
  8. Russ, this had me guffawing just like the time you rushed to my office to ask me what was so funny only to be told that you'd already heard the joke because you'd written it. Glad to hear you're still biking as a pastime instead of heart attacking. Also, i see from the comments you've never been cast as a model before. Well, take a page from my book and cast yourself as a male model in a church skit. It does wonders for the self esteem. Hebrews 10:22

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nick. Yes, there was a time when I could run several yards without fear of an impending chest explosion. Those were the good old days. Rusty sees Dr. Bypass this morning. Hopefully he can be persuaded to use a less invasive procedure---if not a zoom call, maybe he'll have me watch a heart-warming film, like "It was a Wonderful Life."

      I was sorry to read that Theodore had to undergo another ear tube procedure. Hopefully it will do the trick.

      Delete
  9. I think of you often. I'll be praying for you and Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, for your prayers, Anonymous. We may think of you often too.

      Delete
  10. Dear Russ, I will be praying for you. I read the comments and was sorry to read of George Finke’s passing. And was amazed that you remembered the names of those of us who had been in their church and transferred to yours. Those were sweet days when our kids were little. You taught them the song, read your Bible and Pray every day and you’ll grow, grow grow. Irene and I have taught her kids that song and I taught the preschoolers in my class to sing it.
    Linda Moody

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear cousin, while I wasn’t too glad to glean the news from this blog, your sense of humor and glib language did put several smiles on my face (has anyone told you that you are a superb writer?)… Anyway, I’m sending truck loads of good wishes your way - and I’m sure they will reach you, jammed widow parkway or not! Take care and I’ll be thinking of you on December 12th. Best, Cherag

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cherag. It's kind of you to take time out of galavanting around the world to encourage a lowly cousin. Are you still in NYC?

      Delete
  12. I confess I laughed as I read your writing with such humor to narrate the walk you are taking through this life threatening experience, but I especially appreciate you putting it all in perspective by giving me a faith lesson through Biblical reality. Andy and I will be praying for you and Donna.
    Love,
    Carol & Andy
    (To be read in Soup Nazi's voice): "No more Twinkies for you!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Carandy. The doc said if I got the surgery I could have all the Twinkies I wanted. (Or maybe I just imagined that)

      Delete
  13. Pastor Russ and Donna, Chris had this very same bypass with almost the identical percentage of blockages on March 11, 2020, right when COVID was in high gear. (Is he your brother from another mother possibly?) Anyway, he did great and is continuing to do well. He was doing a cardiologist visit every 6 months, but recently graduated to every year. We will be praying for peace and healing during this time, and for Donna for strength to help you during recovery. God bless
    Chris and Winnie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that encouragement, Winnie. Glad Chris is doing so well!

      Delete
  14. Praying for you, Uncle Rusty! All will go well and then you will be a member of the zipper club with Jim — he had quintuple bypass about 8 years ago. He still loves hiking out here in the hills and mountains of Tucson. He is still enjoying his trains. Our Lord has you in the palms of His hands. Special prayers for Darla as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nancy. Re: the Zipper Club, I agree with Mark Twain and/or Groucho Marx (or Marx Twain and/or Groucho Mark) "I don't want to belong to any club that would accept me as one of its members." I don't even recall applying to JOIN the Zipper Club. Maybe it's done automatically with every Twinkie purchase.

      Delete
  15. Praying for you and I have the perfect card to send on Dec 13th. Wonderful of you to use a "not exactly fun" personal situation to witness to our Lord's care...and as always with much humor mixed in for good measure. Sending my prayers also to Donna...I included her on previous email, but apparently her email address has changed. Thanks for sending this to me....laughing is always a good thing. Love to Rusty and Darla.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sandy. Since there aren't many Sukhias around (and there may be one less by Tuesday) donnasukhia@gmail.com should work.

      Delete
  16. Hi Russ. Thanks for your recap to date. You were in our thoughts last evening as we gathered for small group Advent fellowship and caroling here at the little house on the reservoir. You know, if Peter could sleep on the eve of his execution, you should be able to grab a few winks prior to your procedure. Of course, Peter had participated in the sleep study at the Gethsemane Institute, so perhaps this gives him a slight advantage. At any rate, as the great philosopher Alfred E. Neuman once said, “What, me worry?” You’re in good hands (don’t confuse this with your home & auto policy). Jackie and I pray for you and Donna, and many more years of your shredded wit. And now on to that bowl of bran flakes.
    Peace and love.
    Mark Fuhrer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mark. Funny stuff. If Rusty doesn't wake up on Monday afternoon he wants you to start working on Wry Bread III. That's a good point about Gethsemane. This isn't the first time we read of Peter sleeping when we'd expect him to be awake. You'd think Rusty might have referred to that in the above story. I think he did in his story about sleep apnea, the one with the picture of Robin Hood. Thanks for your encouragement and your intercession.

      Delete
  17. Thanks, Gracie. The surgeon says that of the c.250 procedures he does annually, he loses about 4 patients. Yes, I asked him if he's met his quota for this year. If it were up to me, I'd stay here at least until all the grandkids are taller than I am. I love you too, and look forward to seeing you on the other side (I mean the other side of the surgery, Lord).

    ReplyDelete
  18. Not a time to tont ole kemosabe, but will be praying for a good surgery and complete recovery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm, him speak like Pale Faced Johnsson, Kemosabe, but uses no name.

      Delete
  19. I and others are very thankful your surgery went well! Praise to the Lord.
    Haven’t read wry bread for a while. Makes me miss you and Donna. You made us laugh. You still crack me up!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yes, PRAISE GOD for healing you, Russ! We still imagine you dropping in on unsuspecting visitors to your church (Hamburg) as the R & E Comedy Duo. You left us shaking our heads. We are still shaking our heads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dinah and Gary. Those were the days.

      Delete
    2. Art, aka The Clock DocMarch 14, 2024 at 12:31 PM

      Russ--Little did I know, as Paul Harvey used to say, "the rest of the story" until I read your incredible piece about your heart. Here I am trying to restore the heart of your clock, not knowing there are others restoring a much more important ticking mechanism in you. My best wishes to you. I am searching right now for the right piece to make your clock whole again and will be in touch soon. Thanks for sharing your story and yes, I will be more careful from now on when I ask someone "are you writing any longer?" Art

      Delete
  21. Thanks for the kind words, Art. The surgery went well, and I'm now fit as an old fiddle----or an old clock that's lost its spring.

    ReplyDelete